I love energy bites, because they can be taken on-the-go as a snack after a run or workout or during the day and are easy to make, with so many possible variations. I combined 3 simple whole food ingredients to make these Fall and Thanksgiving-themed oatmeal pecan pie energy bites. Pecan pie is one of my favorite Thanksgiving pie flavors too!
MOST VALUABLE INGREDIENT (MVI): PECANS!
DID YOU KNOW?
- Pecan trees grow in in the central and south United States and many other regions around the world.
- Pecan nuts, part of the hickory genus, botanically are classified as fruits, not nuts.
- What may make the Mediterranean Diet healthier compared to a standard american diet for heart and circulatory system health is the higher dietary intake of monounsaturated fats (from nuts, like pecans, and olive oil for example) + phytochemicals/antioxidants (from whole plant-based foods and wine for example) + fiber (only from whole plant-based foods).
HEALTH BENEFITS OF PECANS
- High in monounsaturated fats, including oleic acid, helps regulate blood cholesterol levels.
- High in phytochemical and antioxidants, including elegiac acid, prevents binding of DNA of certain cancer-causing compounds.
- Excellent source of vitamin E, protects against free radicals that may damage the cell membrane structure of mucosal cells and skin cells.
- Rich source of many B vitamins and minerals.
These no bake Oatmeal Pecan Pie Energy Bites are:
Oatmeal pecan pie energy bites that are no-bake, 3 ingredients, easy and quick to make, vegan, gluten-free and fruit sweetened and the perfect snack or workout fuel!
- 1 cup or about 5 medjool dates pits removed
- 1/2 cup pecans whole, dry roasted
- 1/2 cup oats rolled or quick cooking
Add all ingredients into blender or food processor and blend or process until a ball forms, about 5 minutes. Mixture should stick together, but not to your hands.
Take about a heaping tablespoon of the mixture and roll into a ball in your hands. Repeat with rest of mixture to make about 10 balls.
Optional: Roll each ball in extra finely chopped pecans or in oats and press the pecans or oats into the surface of the balls to help them stick.
Enjoy! Store the energy bites in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Nutrition Facts per serving: 1 energy bite (1/10th of recipe)
Total Fat: 8.5g
Total Carbs: 25g
Protein: 2.5g (3.5g Fiber, 16.5g Total Sugars)
B1 Thiamine 0.11mg 9.5%
B5 Pantothenic Acid 0.29mg 5.7%
B6 Pyridoxine 0.08mg 4.9%
Manganese 0.56mg 24.4%
Copper 0.22mg 24.2%
Magnesium 34.15mg 8.1%
Phosphorus 75.07mg 6%
Zinc 0.60mg 5.4%
Potassium 241.7mg 5%
Iron 0.8mg 4%
Calcium 22.99mg 1.8%
Sodium 0.2mg 0%
For another energy bite recipe, check out this Power Fuel Energy Bites recipe!